Here are two videos of Freespace Happening music events in Hong Kong. These are mostly free events held on the second Sunday of each month from Autumn to Spring at the West Kowloon Cultural District in Hong Kong. The Freespace events typically include live music and dance performances a handicrafts markets and workshops. These two videos focus on the music performances. You can visit the Freespace Happening website here: www.westkowloon.hk/en/freespace
Several artists performed on the day, but the four artists featured in this video are
- Emmy the Great: She grew up in Hong Kong, established a music career in England and has recently returned to the territory, This was her first performance since returning to Hong Kong. (www.emmythegreat.com)
- Mocking Bullet: They are a local rock band. In Hong Kong, pop singers reign supreme, but there is also a well-established indie rock scene. (mockingbullet.bandcamp.com)
- Eugene Pao X Ted Lo: Eugene Pao (guitar) and Ted Lo (piano) are legends of the local jazz scene. Besides having their own group, they have performed with many of the world’s more renowned jazz musicians. (eugenepao.com)
- Gonne Choi (최고은): She is a South Korean singer-songwriter and was the headliner for this event. (iamgonne.com)
I shot the video and photos with a Fuji X100T and recorded the audio with a Roland R-05. I like the Fuji camera as it is small and has nice color tones. However, it is not a great camera for recording outdoor concerts as it is a fixed-lens camera (i.e., there is no zoom function.
- Noa Drezner Flamenco Quartet: Noa is a flamenco guitarist from Israel and Spain (www.noadrezner.com).
- Tommi Chan: Tomii is a local musician. He also played some lovely original compositions that I thought I had recorded, but it seems that I didn’t press the record button all the way down. You can check out his original work at tomiichan.bandcamp.com.
- The Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra feat. Hubert Laws: This band is the orchestra-in-residence at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American (americanhistory.si.edu/smithsonian-jazz/smithsonian-jazz-masterworks-orchestra). The ensemble is dedicated to promoting jazz, arguably one of America’s biggest contributions to world culture.
- The Hong Hong Ballet performing the Great Gatsby. (최고은. a South Korea singer-songwriter (www.hkballet.com).
I shot the video and photos with a Sony NEX-7 and recorded the audio with a Roland R-05. I like the Fuji camera as it is small and has nice color tones. However, it is not a great camera for recording outdoor concerts as it is a fixed-lens camera (i.e., there is no zoom function).
Photos and video by longzijun: Most of my video work has been on my free background music series, but I have also started shooting video more frequently while travelling or going out on the weekend.
To try to avoid copyright problems with the video, I have only included short excerpts of their songs, but do check out the artists to listen to more of their work.
Return to Video Making