As the Free Background Music series has been becoming more popular, there have been more requests being made for using the music for non-commercial purposes. Therefore, I have drawn up the following conditions for use. There are some restrictions for all categories of users, namely
- The music may not be used in works which are pornographic (or which promote pornography) or that deliberately promote illegal activities or incite hatred
- You may not distribute the music in your own collection of music (A similar restriction is applied to things to clip-art. You can use a clip-art image, but may not distribute it or sell it in your own collection of clip-art)
- To re-mix the music or use it in a mash-up and then publish your remix, you need permission and need to provide credits specifying which parts come from my music.
- The music may be cut and you can take out a segment and loop it, but you may not alter the tempo by more than 5%.
A1. Strictly Non-commercial Uses
The music in this series (and the Short Instrumental Themes series and Backing Tracks series) is free to use for non-commercial purposes; simply provide a credit—music by longzijun—somewhere in your work (e.g., in the video credits, the video description, webpage, PowerPoint presentation or programme notes etc). It would also be great if you could spare a few seconds to offer your supportin any of the following ways: liking, sharing, commenting on any of my song videos or background music pages, adding song video(s) to a playlist or favorites list, adding a direct link to this page or subscribing to my YouTube channel. Every little bit helps and any such support would be very much appreciated.
A2. Non-commercial Works Entered in Competitions with Prizes
Revised: 5 May 2013
These are now being treated the same as the non-commercial works mentioned above. Permission is given to use the music in this series (and the Short Instrumental Themes series and Backing Tracks Series) for free in the work as long as appropriate credit is provided (music by longzijun), even for competitions in which prizes are offered.
B. Makers of YouTube monetized videos, Adsense Users, Professional Video-makers, App developers
For the songs in Free Background Music Series (Background Music Songs 01 to 26 excluding Happy Virus) and Backing Tracks Series, there are two additional requirements for using the song:
1. A donation should be made to a charity of your choice based on the revenue obtained (or your estimate of the revenue). It is suggested that for each video, 1 to 3% (the figure is up to your generosity) of your revenue earned for that video or video production fee should be donated. In many countries, users would also be able to claim the donation as a tax-deductible donation. If YouTube or other organisation is requesting proof that you have the right to use the song then you may send them the link to this page and you should indicate willingness to follow the terms if and when you do receive earnings from your video. You do not need to make any donations before you start earning money; however, an initial donation might be helpful if you need to get monetization approved.
2. The crediting should be more careful in acknowledging the source material; the crediting of the songs should be as follows:
|Song No. and Title||Wording of Credit|
|1. SD SFX
4. Snacks and Watches
5. Mime This
6. IS 1*
7. IS 2*
11. Safe Harbour
18. Rock Funk Beast
28. Who I am*
|music (loop-based) by longzijun, used with permission, charitable donation to be made to: __ name of charity__|
|3. Walk in the Dark**
8 Happy Virus
10. Little Ape
13. Arpology 1: Frantic Sax Version*
14. Arpology 2: Ambient Synth Version*
15. Yeah! Why?*
20. Cog in your Machine*
21. Slow Descent I and Slow Descent II*
22. As long as a word remains unspoken
24. Lock and Love
26. Almost a Love Story
30. Echoes & Fragments
32. The Hidden Path
33. Little Hero
|music by longzijun, (used with permission; charitable donation to be made to: __ name of charity __)|
* = Songs are no longer available (as of 20 May 2014)
** = Song are no longer available as of 30 October (2016)
Further Information about Monetized Videos (Added 7 May 2013)
I would just like to clarify a few things
- Monetized videos are NOT non-commercial videos.
- Therefore, I cannot guarantee that your video will be approved for monetization, nor can I lobby YouTube on your behalf.
C. Small Businesses (i.e., local independent businesses)
There are three requirements:
1. The user should request and gain permission beforehand (email@example.com). When requesting permission, the user should describe the project. What is the business? What is the purpose of the work? How, where and when will it be shown?
2. The user should make a minimum donation of 10 USD to a charity of his/her choice for each separate song used (the donation would be tax deductible in many cases).
3. The music should be credited according to guidelines mentioned in the above table (in the previous section).
D. Large Businesses, Advertisers, Filmmakers
They should contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. When making the request, they should describe the project in detail. Who is the client? what is the purpose of the work? How, where and when will it be shown? What is the estimated budget of the project?
— Return to Free Background Music Series —
Additional Information about Creative Commons licences.