Here you can find some of my poems as well as articles on things that interest or fascinate me me (e.g., social media, Japanese pop music, books, movies, lo-fi digital cameras) or that are related to my job (e.g., posts on education and school project). If I end up researching something, I will often write about what I found. Consequently, you will also find articles on technical things such as copyright law, video export settings and noise reduction techniques.
- Field Exercises and A Mother’s Lament Two poems about the environment
- Ghost Writing What can you say when there is nothing you can say
- A Fisherman An epitaph. This poem was originally published in Outloud: An anthology of poetry from Outloud Readings, p. 111. (2002). XtraLoud Press: Hong Kong.
- Just One: A short poem for a short life
- Our Struggles: 7 Tips for Coping with Things (and Surviving High School): A message to my students
These articles include 27 min-reviews and book introductions that were originally published in Ming Pao (Sept 2006 – June 2008), a newspaper in Hong Kong. They introduce of novels and non-fiction that are suitable for teens, especially those who are learning English as a second language.
- 15 Books for Teens Who Hate Reading
- 12 Good Novels for Young Adults and Teens
- An Interpretation of Jimmy Liao’s ‘The Blue Stone’
- Books for Teens: The City Of Bones
Social Media & Copyright Articles
- Teachers, Students and Facebook, Oh My!: What are the issues surrounding Facebook friendships
- Is it OK to buy views for YouTube videos? Is it effective? It it against the TOS?
- How Much Do Do the Top YouTube Stars Make: The first in a new series of articles about YouTube
- Is WordPress Now Partnering with Copyright Grabbers? (Beware of Headliner.fm). If you are WordPress blogger, you should be wary of using the Promote This Post Function
- Music: Public Domain, Fair Use, Copyright and YouTube: Guidelines for video-makers
- Let’s Play Videos, YouTube and and Copyright: FAQ
- The Illegal Downloading Debate: Is it OK to Download Songs without Paying?
- Creative Commons Licenses: Advantages and Drawbacks
J-Pop & J-Rock Articles
When I first heard Japanese pop music, I wasn’t particularly interested in it. This is because, living in Hong Kong, the little Japanese music that I had heard was mainly from pop idols, boy bands and girl groups. Later on, people introduced me to singers like Kahimi Karie (electronica), Kojima Mayumi (hard to categorize—jazz/folk/punk/pop maybe) and Nana Kitade (rock & gothic lolita frocks). I began to realize that the Japanese music scene was much more rich and diverse than I had imagined.
Girls and Guitars: Female Singer-songwriters
YUI, miwa, Tsuji Shion, Rika Shinohara, Aya Kamiki, Cocco, Nana Kitade
J-Rock Mix Volume 1
ELLEGARDEN, Nothing’s Carved in Stone, the HIATUS, Boom Boom Satellites and fly sleep fly
Offbeat & Sophisticated J-Pop
Kojima Mayumi, GARNET CROW, ohashi Trio and moumoon
All-girl rock bands from Japan
LAZYgunsBRISKY, Scandal, Stereopony, New Strike Zipper, Zone and more
Other Music Articles
- The Chinese Orchestra: A Video Introduction to Chinese Musical Instruments
- Film Scene Analysis 02: Cinematography and Mise-en-scène in American Beauty
- Film Scene Analysis 01: Fight Scene Editing and Cinematography: The Bourne Identity and Hero
- Film Interpretation: Loss of Innocence in All About Lily Chou-Chou
Other Articles (Education, Video Recording & Editing, Photography and Cameras)
You can find articles on other topics in different areas of my website:
For articles and resources related to teaching and learning, visit the Education Projects page.
For academic papers and a short research bibliography, go to Academic and Professional Research.
For articles related to video recording and audio recording and editing for video, visit the Video Production page.
For articles related to photography and lo-fi digital cameras, go to the Photography section.