Here you can find some of my creative writing and articles on things that interest me or that are related to my work. If I have to research something, I will often write about what I found. Consequently, you will also find articles on technical things such as copyright law, video export settings and noise reduction techniques.
- J-pop and J-rock
- My creative writing
- Movies & film techniques
- The mass media & politics
- Books & literature
- YouTube & copyright
- Video & audio recording & editing
J-pop & J-rock
When I first listened to Japanese pop music, I wasn’t particularly interested in it as the little Japanese music that I had heard was mainly from pop idols. Later on, people introduced me to singers like Kahimi Karie (electronica), Kojima Mayumi (jazz/folk/punk/pop) and Nana Kitade (rock & gothic lolita frocks). I began to realize that the Japanese music scene was much more rich and diverse than I had imagined. For a list of the artists featured in the articles, go to: longzijun.wordpress.com/words/featured-artists
- Original Poems: Field Exercises (a short poem about the environment), Ghost Writing (a poem about mortality), A Fisherman (and epitaph) and Just One (a short poem for a short life).
- Mini-stories (Creative Non-fiction): Just some short observations and musings about life in Hong Kong
Movies & film techniques
This section includes essays about movies and about filmmaking techniques.
The media & politics
I am now working on a series of articles related to the mass media. This section also includes articles about Hong Kong’s political situation and new series about the some of the common misconceptions about China.
This section includes two articles featuring 27 mini-reviews and book introductions that were originally published in Ming Pao (Sept 2006 – June 2008), a newspaper in Hong Kong. It also includes a book comparison and sample book reports.
Articles about YouTube & copyright
These articles mainly deal with YouTube policies.
- YouTube: Monetization and the Issue of Reused Content: An article explaining the kinds of videos that may be affected YouTube’s ‘reused content’ policy.
- Was Your YouTube Channel Suspended for No Reason? A Guide to Community Guidelines-related Suspensions
- Is it OK to buy views for YouTube videos? Is it effective? It it against the TOS?
A lot of my daily work touches upon copyright issues, so I’ve done quite a lot of research on the topic. I’ve written a few articles to share what I have learned.
- Music: Public Domain, Fair Use, Copyright and YouTube: Guidelines for video makers
- Let’s Play Videos, YouTube and and Copyright: FAQ
- The Illegal Downloading Debate: Is it OK to Download Songs without Paying?
- Creative Commons Licenses: Advantages and Drawbacks
Articles about audio recording & video production
Audio Recording in Video Production
This is a series of three articles on how to get the best sound recording on a budget.
- Improving Sound Quality: Audio Equipment
- Improving Sound Quality: Recording Techniques
- Improving Sound Quality: Basic Noise Reduction
Video Editing & Exporting
These articles cover what I have learned about video formats, project settings and export settings (mainly related to Adobe Premiere Pro). I try to keep the information in these pages up-to-date.
- Exporting HD Video for YouTube: Premiere Pro
- Choosing Premiere Pro Sequence Settings for HD Video
- Exporting Standard Definition Video for YouTube: Premiere Pro
- Exporting Video for Nico Nico Douga: Recommended settings
- Teaching: This section of the website contains articles on academic topics like web-based teaching, plagiarism and social media
Go to Homepage