Here you can find some of my creative writing and articles on things that interest me or that are related to my work. If I have to research something, I will often write about what I found. Consequently, you will also find articles on technical things such as copyright law, video export settings and noise reduction techniques.
- J-pop and J-rock
- My creative writing
- Movies & film techniques
- The mass media & politics
- Books & literature
- YouTube & copyright
- Video & audio recording & editing
J-pop & J-rock
When I first heard Japanese pop music, I wasn’t particularly interested in it as the little Japanese music that I had heard was mainly from pop idols, boy bands and girl groups. Later on, people introduced me to singers like Kahimi Karie (electronica), Kojima Mayumi (hard to categorize—jazz/folk/punk/pop maybe) and Nana Kitade (rock & gothic lolita frocks). I began to realize that the Japanese music scene was much more rich and diverse than I had imagined. For an alphabetical list of the artists featured so far (and the pages that they appear on), go to: longzijun.wordpress.com/words/featured-artists
- Original Poems: Field Exercises (a short poem about the environment), Ghost Writing (a poem about mortality), A Fisherman (and epitaph) and Just One (a short poem for a short life).
- Mini-stories (Creative Non-fiction): Just some short observations and musings about life in Hong Kong
Movies & film techniques
This section includes essays about movies and about filmmaking techniques.
The media & politics
I am now working on a series of articles related to the mass media. This section also includes articles about Hong Kong’s political situation.
This section includes two articles featuring 27 mini-reviews and book introductions that were originally published in Ming Pao (Sept 2006 – June 2008), a newspaper in Hong Kong. It also includes a book comparison and sample book reports.
Articles about YouTube & copyright
These articles mainly deal with YouTube policies.
- YouTube: Monetization and the Issue of Reused Content: An article explaining the kinds of videos that may be affected YouTube’s ‘reused content’ policy.
- Was Your YouTube Channel Suspended for No Reason? A Guide to Community Guidelines-related Suspensions
- Is it OK to buy views for YouTube videos? Is it effective? It it against the TOS?
A lot of my daily work touches upon copyright issues, so I’ve done quite a lot of research on the topic. I’ve written a few articles to share what I have learned.
- Music: Public Domain, Fair Use, Copyright and YouTube: Guidelines for video makers
- Let’s Play Videos, YouTube and and Copyright: FAQ
- The Illegal Downloading Debate: Is it OK to Download Songs without Paying?
- Creative Commons Licenses: Advantages and Drawbacks
Articles about audio recording & video production
Audio Recording in Video Production
This is a series of three articles on how to get the best sound recording on a budget.
- Improving Sound Quality: Recording Techniques
- Improving Sound Quality: Basic Noise Reduction
- Improving Sound Quality: Audio Equipment
Video Editing & Exporting
These articles cover what I have learned about video formats, project settings and export settings (mainly related to Adobe Premiere Pro). I try to keep the information in these pages up-to-date.
- Exporting HD Video for YouTube: Premiere Pro
- Choosing Premiere Pro Sequence Settings for HD Video
- Exporting Standard Definition Video for YouTube: Premiere Pro
- Exporting Video for Nico Nico Douga: Recommended settings
- Teaching: This section of the website contains articles on academic topics like web-based teaching, plagiarism and social media
Go to Homepage