Here you can find some of my poems as well as articles on things that interest or fascinate me me (e.g., social media, Japanese pop music, books, movies, lo-fi digital cameras) or that are related to my job (e.g., posts on education and school project). If I end up researching something, I will often write about what I found. Consequently, you will also find articles on technical things such as copyright law, video export settings and noise reduction techniques.
- Field Exercises and A Mother’s Lament Two poems about the environment
- Ghost Writing What can you say when there is nothing you can say
- A Fisherman An epitaph. This poem was originally published in Outloud: An anthology of poetry from Outloud Readings, p. 111. (2002). XtraLoud Press: Hong Kong.
- Just One: A short poem for a short life
- Our Struggles: 7 Tips for Coping with Things (and Surviving High School): A message to my students
These articles include 27 min-reviews and book introductions that were originally published in Ming Pao (Sept 2006 – June 2008), a newspaper in Hong Kong. They introduce of novels and non-fiction that are suitable for teens, especially those who are learning English as a second language.
- 15 Books for Teens Who Hate Reading
- 12 Good Novels for Young Adults and Teens
- An Interpretation of Jimmy Liao’s ‘The Blue Stone’
- Books for Teens: The City Of Bones
J-Pop & J-Rock Articles
When I first heard Japanese pop music, I wasn’t particularly interested in it. This is because, living in Hong Kong, the little Japanese music that I had heard was mainly from pop idols, boy bands and girl groups. Later on, people introduced me to singers like Kahimi Karie (electronica), Kojima Mayumi (hard to categorize—jazz/folk/punk/pop maybe) and Nana Kitade (rock & gothic lolita frocks). I began to realize that the Japanese music scene was much more rich and diverse than I had imagined.
Girls and Guitars: Female Singer-songwriters
YUI, miwa, Tsuji Shion, Rika Shinohara, Aya Kamiki, Cocco, Nana Kitade
J-Rock Mix Volume 1
ELLEGARDEN, Nothing’s Carved in Stone, the HIATUS, Boom Boom Satellites and fly sleep fly
Kojima Mayumi, GARNET CROW, ohashi Trio and moumoon
All-girl rock bands from Japan
LAZYgunsBRISKY, Scandal, Stereopony, New Strike Zipper, Zone and more
Other Music Articles
- The Chinese Orchestra: A Video Introduction to Chinese Musical Instruments
- Film Interpretation: Loss of Innocence in All About Lily Chou-Chou
Other Articles (Education, Photography and Cameras)
You can find articles on other topics in different areas of my website:
For artcles related to film techniques, YouTube, copyright, video editing & exporting and audio recording, go to Video Production Articles.
For articles and resources related to teaching and learning, visit the Education Projects page.
For academic papers and a short research bibliography, go to Academic and Professional Research.
For articles related to photography and lo-fi digital cameras, go to the Photography section.