I have only published a few articles. They are mainly based on papers I wrote while studying for my post-graduate diploma and master’s degree. I was mainly interested in motivation in language learning because as a teacher I recognize its vital role in education.
- Richards, S. (2000). Planning web-based teaching. The 6th Hong Kong web symposium: Conference proceedings. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Web Consortium. This report featured a set of questions that teachers can consider when thinking about doing online teaching/learning activities (You can download the questions at https://longzijun.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/planning.pdf). The report also describe a successful online peer review activity created as part of a creative writing course (You can read the report at https://longzijun.wordpress.com/words/academic/planning-web-based-teaching/) or find out more about this creative writing course at https://longzijun.wordpress.com/projects/online-creative-writing-workshop/
- Richards, S. & Pannu, J. (1999). Hang Seng Bank language audit report. Hong Kong: Hang Seng Bank.
- Richards, S. (1998). Learning English in Hong Kong: Making connections between motivation, language use and strategy choice, in M. Pennington (Ed.) Language In Hong Kong at Century’s End, Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press. You can read parts of this paper (some pages have been deleted) on Google Books (http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=vvCWT8XHK8QC&lpg=PP1&hl=en&pg=PA303#v=onepage&q=&f=false). This article is based on my MA thesis. You can see the abstract and table of contents of the thesis online at http://lbms03.cityu.edu.hk/dissert/abt/ma-en-b11960735a.pdf).
- Richards, S. (1994). Motives and methods: Motivation, strategy choice, and language use among secondary school students learning English in Hong Kong. Research Report No. 39. Hong Kong: City Polytechnic of Hong Kong. This is basically my MA thesis.
- Richards, S. (1993). Motivation in second language learning: A Hong Kong persepective Hong Kong. Research Report No. 32. Hong Kong: City Polytechnic of Hong Kong. This literature review of research related to motivation, attitudes and language learning was originally my dissertation for my PGD TESL.